Memory hack to NEVER FORGET the management of sepsis. The is eventual medical knowledge and highly examinable.
🔥Been here before? Test your active recall before revealing the answers!
🔐Remember the management of sepsis with: 3 ins 3 outs
– IV fluids
– Urine output monitoring
– Blood cultures
– Oxygen (if needed depending on SpO2)
– IV fluids (Usually given in 250-500mL boluses stat to improve BP if in septic shock)
– Antibiotics (Usually broad spectrum first then refined to narrow spectrum after the causative has been identified)
– Lactate (usually via ABG/VBG blood gas)
– Urine output monitoring (consider urinary catheterisation to strictly measure)
– Blood cultures (ideally before antibiotics are given but shouldn’t but treatment shouldn’t be delayed if in extremis)
🔥MORE mnemonics to remember MORE for longer…
📩 Discover the internet’s best medical school resources.
Every week, I share study hacks and recommended MedEd resources to help you study medicine smarter not harder.
Forecast: 100% chance of inspo, 0% chance of spam.